Given by Students Honoring Outstanding University Teaching, the Golden Apple Award honors undergraduate and graduate faculty members who continuously seek to engage students in the classroom.
Students can nominate the teacher of their choice. Here are a few of the comments from the nursing students who nominated Strobbe:
• “He truly inspires the students to do their best work, not just for the grade, but for the experience and knowledge.”
• “Dr. Strobbe brings vast knowledge and understanding of the intricacies of [mental health and illness] to every lecture but perhaps more importantly, he brings humanity and empathy to both his teaching style and nursing practice.”
• “The sensitivity and respect with which he handles extremely challenging topics such as sexual assault, suicide, addiction, abuse, and mental illness sets such an excellent example for us nursing students as future healthcare leaders.”
• “He strives to do everything in his power to help each student learn and succeed.”
• “The way he structures his course really illustrates that he wants us to truly explore the material and use it in a meaningful way.”